Ministry of Road Transport & Highways
To have a sustainable, efficient, safe and internationally comparable quality of road infrastructure in general and National Highways infrastructure in particular to achieve enhanced, quick connectivity, mobility to a level which accelerates socio-economic development.
Development of a National Highways (NHs) Network in the country encompassing roads of international standards for uninterrupted flow of traffic with enhanced safety features.Enhanced connectivity for remote far flung and isolated areas, including North-East region (NER), Left Wing Extremism (LWE) affected areas including Tribal Sub-Plan (TSP).Evolving
An apex organisation under the Central Government, is entrusted with the task of formulating and administering, in consultation with other Central Ministries/Departments, State Governments/UT Administrations, organisations and individuals, policies for Road Transport, National Highways and Transport Research with a view to increasing the mobility and efficiency of the road transport system in the country. e Ministry has two wings: Roads wing and Transport wing.
- Planning, development and maintenance of National Highways (NHs) infrastructure by creating State-of-the-Art additional capacity.
- Skill development amongst stakeholders compatible with the interntional standards.
- Special Accelerated Road Develoopment Programme for North-East region (SARDP-NE) including Arunachal Pradesh package forenhancing State capitals, district headquarters connectivity, strategic roads in border States and connectivity to neighbouring countries.
- Special Programme for development of road connectivity of two-lane standards in the Left Wing Extremism (LWE) affected areas including Tribal Sub-Plan (TSP).
- Technical and financial support to State Governments for development of State roads and the roads of the Inter-State Connectivity and Economic Importance.
- Effective policy measures to sustainably improve road safety scenario in the country.
- Efficient and safe transportation through the road network.
- To set up Model Inspection and Certification Centres.
- To take up effective policy initiatives for strengthening integrated public transport system.
- To set up Independent Regulatory Authority.
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
|1. Increase in the length of National Highways having 4 or more lane divided
carriageway.This also augments the road capacity and higher GDP growth rate,
reduction in total road transportation cost, saving of foreign exchange due to fuel saving, improved level of
service (LoS) of road infrastructure, improvement of environment and reduction
in emission of carbon gasses, large scale reduction in road
accidents due to segregation of fast moving and slow moving traffic.
|NHAI, State PWD & BRO.||
Creation of safe and efficient road network supplementing the existing road capacity and
upgrading the road transport system.
|2. Enhanced connectivity in far- flung and remote areas of NER.||NHAI, State PWDs & BRO.||-do-||Km||150||260|
|3. Enhanced connectivity in LWE affected areas.||State PWDs.||-do-||Km||1084||1049|
|4. Formulation, implementation
of policies relating to road
All States / UTs, Ministry of Health &
Family Welfare, DAVP.
Reduction in number of -
accidents, injuries and
No in -lakhs