Department of Sports
Sports for development of a physically fit nation with a strong sporting culture, and a leader amongst sporting nations
(i) To provide the framework for development of Sports in India with focus on 'Sports for All' and 'Excellence in Sports'.(ii)
To promote inclusiveness in sports with special focus on women, the differently-abled and North Eastern Region(iii) To
mandate measures for good governance practices in functioning of autonomous sports bodies.(IV) To uphold high
ethical standards in sports through anti-doping measures, deterrent measures to prevent fraud of age and sexual
harassment of women in sports.(V) To promote welfare of sportspersons.
The Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports was initially set up as the Department of Sports in 1982 at the time of organization of the IX Asian Games in New Delhi . Its name was changed to the Department of Youth affairs & sports during celebration of the International Youth Year, 1985. It became a Ministry on 27th May,2000. Subsequently, the Ministry has been bifurcated in Deptt. of Youth Affairs and Deptt. of Sports under two separate Secretaries w.e.f. 30th April,2008. The specific subjects being dealt with by these two Departments are contained in the Order of the Govt. of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961.
Sports promotion is primarily the responsibility of the various National Sports Federations which are autonomous. The role of the Government is to create the infrastructure and promote capacity building for broad-basing sports as well as for achieving excellence in various competitive events at the national and international levels. The Department schemes are geared towards achieving these objectives.
- Intergration of sports and physical education in school curriculum in partnership with Central and State Governments, CBSE and School Education Boards
- Enhancing transparency and improving public accountability in Autonomous Sports Bodies.
- Universalization of 'Sports for All' in rural and urban areas in partnership with state governments.
- Special focus on Anti-doping measures in sports and elimination of unethical practices
- Achieving excellence in sports by expansion of talent pool, identification and nurturing of talent through customized training, coaching camps and providing requisite sports science support and conduct of sports competitions at various levels in partnership with National Sports Federations.
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
|1. Increasing availability ofsports infrastructure||
Ministry of Finance, Planning
Commission, State Governments
|New Centres developed||Number||4822|
|% increase of playgrounds||%|
State of the art sports facilities
|2. Popularization of sports||
Ministry of Finance, Planning
Commission and State Governments
Number of youth participating
in various sports competitions
under various schemes of the
|3. Increased access to sports infrastructure||
State Governments, local civic bodies
and bodies owning/managing sports
facilities such as stadia, multi-purpose
halls, athletic tracks, turfs etc
Decentralization of sports