Department of Pharmaceuticals
Ms. V.K. Subburaj
Ms. Aradhana Johri
India: The Largest Global Provider of Quality Medicines at Reasonable Prices.
- Ensure availability of quality drugs at reasonable prices as per the Pharma Policy
- Development of Pharma Infrastructure and Innovative Development in Pharma Sector including through PPP
- Promote Pharma Brand India
- Encourage environmentally sustainable development of Pharmaceutical Industry
- To establish NIPERs as nationally and internationally recognized brand in the field of education and research of pharmaceutical sciences for the benefit of human kind.
The Department of Pharmaceuticals was created on the 1st of July in the year 2008 in the Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers so as to provide greater focus for the growth of the high potential Pharmaceuticals industry.
Shri M.K. Alagiri is the Minister of Chemical and Fertilizers and Shri Shrikant Kumar Jena is the Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers.
The Ministry has been given the following mandate for catalyzing the growth of the pharma industry in the country –
- Drugs and Pharmaceuticals sector development
- Promotion and co-ordination of basic, applied and other research in areas related to the Pharmaceuticals sector.
- Development of infrastructure, manpower and skills for the Pharmaceuticals sector and management of related information.
- Education and training including high end research and grant of fellowships in India and abroad, exchange of information and technical guidance on all matters relating to Pharmaceutical sector.
- Setting up of New NIPERs
- Disposal of review application as per the provisions of DPCO' 95
- Enforcement of price control measures
- Facilitate growth of Central pharma PSUs with required support
- Jan Aushadi Campaign - setting up of Jan Aushadhi Stores
- Develop Pharma Infrastructure and Catalyze Drug Discovery and Innovation
- Develop Infrastructure for Pharma R &D;
- Develop Pharma Human Resources through M.Pharma and Ph.D programmes in NIPERS
- Promotion of Research at NIPERs
- Scheme on Cluster Development Programme for Pharma Sector
- Capacity building of Indian Pharma Industry
- Promotion of Indian Pharmaceuticals Products / Industry
- Creation of IPR Facilitation center at Pharmexcil
- Scholarship Scheme at NIPERs for students from foreign countries