Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion
Mr. Amitabh Kant
Mr. Saurabh Chandra
17-Apr-2012 to 28-Feb-2014
Mr. P K Chaudhary
Nov-2011 to Apr-2012
Mr. R P Singh
01-Jan-2010 to 31-Oct-2011
Mr. Ajay Shankar
01-Aug-2007 to 31-Dec-2009
To promote Indian Industry and facilitate a balanced growth of industries.
To create a conducive environment and accelerate annual growth of industries to double digit level on sustained basis; improve share of manufacturing in GDP from 15.9 % in 2009-10 to 25% by 2022; improve India's global share of FDI to 5% in 2016-17 ; and make India a preferred location for foreign investment.
he Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion was established in 1995 and has been reconstituted in the year 2000 with the merger of the Department of Industrial Development. Earlier separate Ministries for Small Scale Industries & Agro and Rural Industries (SSI&A&RI) and Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises (HI&PE) were created in October, 1999.
- To promote growth of manufacturing industry by facilitating financial, infrastructural and policy support.
- To facilitate foreign investment and to coordinate faster implementation of investment approvals.
- To facilitate development of industries in North East and other special category States.
- To improve intellectual property regime consistent with our international commitments and increase output and efficiency in Trade Mark and Patent Offices.
- To initiate measures towards procedural changes to make functioning of the Department more transparent and responsive.
- To create a sound information base of macroeconomic indicators of production and prices
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
|Increasing growth in manufacturing output||
Ministry of Finance; Planning Commission; Ministry of Corporate Affairs; Department of Public Enterprises;
Ministry of Environment and Forests; Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals; Department of Pharmaceuticals;
Department of Fertilisers; Ministry of Food Processing Industries; Department of Heavy Industries; Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises; Ministry of Mines; Ministry of Steel; Ministry of Textiles; State Governments; and
|% increase of manufacturing on year on year basis.||%||2.5||4.4||7.5||7.5||8.0|