Department of Defense Production
Mr. G. C. Pati
To achieve self-reliance in production of state of the art weapon platforms, arms, ammunition equipment's and other material required for the defence of our nation
Facilitate enhancement of capability and capacity through policies, initiatives and incentives for improving quality and timely delivery of defence equipment for Armed Forces and encourage R&D efforts in Indian defence industries for selfreliance and improve the functioning of OFB, DPSUs for transforming them into global leaders.
The Department of Defence Production was set up in 1962, in the aftermath of the Chinese aggression to create a self-reliant and self-sufficient indigenous defence production base . In November, 1965, Department of Defence Supplies was created to forge linkages between the civil industries and defence production units. The two departments were merged in December, 1984 into the Department of Defence Production and Supplies. The Department of Defence Production and Supplies has been renamed as Department of Defence Production w.e.f. January, 2004.
- Timely delivery of arms/ammunitions and equipments of quality standards to the Armed Forces as per their requirement.
- Increase share of Indian products in the procurement for our defence needs
- Enhance manufacturing /mapping capabilities in the defence domain
- Streamlining Institutional Architecture for defence related Research and Development
- Facilitating and guiding improvements in the functioning of DPSUs, OFB and all the three Responsibility Centres
- Monitoring of offset policy
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
|1. Turnover of Ordnance Factories||Armed Forces, DGQA, QEMs||Turnover||Rs. in Crore||11700||12935||13581||14260||14973|
|2. Turnover Value of Production of Defence PSUs||OEM, Armed Forces, DGQA||Turnover||Rs. in Crore||31950||33170||34829||36570||38398|
|3. % Growth in vendor base||Private Sector, Services and various Government setups||% growth||%||-||6||6||6||6|
|4. Monitoring Offset policy||Services, Public/Private Sector||Timely study/review of signed offset contracts||No.||-||-||20||20||20|